Frankie's is a Connecticut hot dog chain that retains the charm on the original hot dog stand in Waterbury that was founded in 1933 in the heart of the depression. It has 3 locations in Waterbury, and single locations in Naugatuck, Plainville and West Haven. It used to have a location in Bristol, but that is now closed.
I was working on the ambulance in Hartford yesterday when we did a trip down to the West Haven, VA. Frankie's of West Haven is only a 4 minute drive from their ED so my partner Jerry and I made a quick pit stop there before heading back to Hartford.
Frankie's deep frys their Hummel Brothers hot dogs to give them a crisp outer surface and serves them in New England style rolls that are toasted on the grille.


Jerry ordered their two hot dogs for $8.99 special and I ordered one of their specialty dogs - The Devil Dog, which had bacon, grilled onions, cheese and hot peppers. I admit to removing the jalapenos before eating it. I also had to unbutton my work shirt to keep from getting food stains, which was smart because my blue undershirt got pelted with chilli. Jerry garnished his foot-long dogs with a variety of condiments from their large self serve condiment bar.
My Devil Dog was delicious. I took a bite before remembering to photograph the dog.

