I just finished reading (admittedly I did some skimming through the lengthy non-hot dog parts) Raw Dog: The Naked Truth About Hot Dogs by Jamie Loftus (a comedian I was unfamiliar with).
This is the description of the book from Amazon.
Part travelogue, part culinary history, all capitalist critique—comedian Jamie Loftus's debut, Raw Dog, will take you on a cross-country road trip in the summer of 2021, and reveal what the creation, culture, and class influence of hot dogs says about America now.
The basic plot is Jamie and her boyfriend travel the country eating hot dogs and she expounds on everything from her politics to her sex life and menstration, It is sort of a weak Hunter Thompson gonzo journalism take on hot dogs and America and capitalist corruption, and while some of the hot dog stuff is very interesting, including a section on attending the Nathan’s Coney Island Hot Dog competition where Joey Chestnut wins again, overall my problem with it, was I found her annoying, only occasionally funny, with too many detours from the hot dog material. Also her raunchiness was alienating and unnecessary.
If I could have had an editor cut out everything except the hot dog material, I would give the book a higher rating.
