Revenge of the Waygu

 


I worked 911 yesterday so today I was feeling beat-up.  Didn’t sleep great, but still had to get up at 8 to go into work at the hospital for a few hours.  I was out of the office for two days, and I can’t stand to have a backed-uped in-box.  When I sit at my desk, and an email comes in I try to answer it right away.  I will answer it even just to say, hey I got your email, and will get back to you soon.  I am in a video game; each email is a space invader.  I need to shoot it down as it comes in.  Some days I am under full scale attack. I sit in my seat, my command post, and fire away, defending my in-box until the battle is over.  Nothing better than leaving work with your inbox reading “All done for the day.”  

I got caught-up as much as I could, then headed home.  My middle daughter had a Jack and Jill, which I guess is a party for all the engaged couples friends, and as I found out the day before, family. I am not one for parties.  One, I’m not drinking right now, two I won’t know many people, three, I am tall and my hearing is shot so most of the conversations I have are just me smiling and nodding. Four, I’ve got a lot of things to do, including mowing my overgrown lawn, and five, my body hurts from working yesterday.

Still I love my middle daughter and know I need to make an appearance.  There is a great hot dog place --Augie and Ray’s--not far from where she lives that is on my list.  I haven’t been to Augie and Ray’s for 12 years.  I am thinking I can stop, get my dog for the day, and then continue on to the party.  But then I think, no, just go to the party, say hi, eat some food and head home.  I do have that one Waygu hot dog left in the fridge and maybe I can do something fancy with it.

This is the thing about my 365 Hot Dog odyssey.  Everyday I can get excited wondering what my dog will be that day.  Will I go to a new place? Or will I create something delicious at home?  This I explain to my daughter’s trainer who I met at the party.  At first, he seems dubious about my hot dog diet.  Is this just an incentive or a true diet?  A diet, I say, definitively. When he is talking to me my plate is full of fruit and vegetables. Little does he know I have also already eaten a Jamaican beef and a chicken patty (They were mini patties, not full blown patties).

On the drive home, my mind races.  I have already decided to have the Waygu dog, but how will I prepare it?  I think about stopping at Bear’s Barbecue in Hartford and getting some pulled pork to put on top of the dog, but instead I drive right home.  I have some Korean noodles and vegetables in a microwavable container that I got from Trader Joe’s. That would make a nice dog, but instead, I decide to grill some bacon and onions, then grill the Waygo dog in the bacon grease.


F! It was good!  It was so delicious, I thought about driving back to the meat market where I bought those expensive wagyu dogs and ordering a dozen more.  Maybe it would have tasted just as good as if I used an Oscar Meyer turkey, chicken and pork dog, but I don’t think so.  This was one of the best dogs ever!


Day 64 Hot Dog Down.