7-11- 2026

 


Working the ambulance today, hoping for a posting near where I can get a decent hot dog.  2:30 rolls around and I’ve got the hungerpangs.  Only hot dog in range is at the dreaded 7/11, home of the roller hot dog that has allegedly been under the lights rolling for weeks.  Or so they say.  All right.  Let’s go fo it.

Seven-Eleven’s The Big Bite is 410 calories of all beef hot dog made by Oscar Meyer especially for 7/11.  It is right out there with all the other roller treats.  Below the dogs is a sign stating when the dog was prepared and when it is best enjoyed by..  8/12/2026 at $4:16.  Enjoy by 8:16 PM.  Four hours roller life.  Very good.  The only problem today is 2:31 on 8/15. We’re talking 70 hours.


Has it really been 70 hours or did they just forget to update the note?


Quandary.  Hungry.  Need a hot dog.  Also, I need to get and review a 7/11 dog.  Possible worry about food poisoning.

Decision (not surprising):  I go for the dog!

I get the dog in a New England bun, and adorn it with some chopped onion.  Cost is $2.49.  The girl behind the register charges me $12.49.  That is not right, I say.  Her coworker helps her understand her mistake.  She is new at the job, and apologies profusely. No worries, I say.


The big bite is actually very tasty.  A nice juicy hot dog, which I dispose of quickly.  I could have gotten two for XX, but one dog did the trick.  Judging from the sign in the window, I could have got a Bite Bit Dog, a Big Gulp and 7/11 potato chips for just 51 cents more.  It is enough to make me consider it next time I am stuck jonesing for a hot dog, 70 hours be damned.


Note:  No sooner do I finish the dog, then we get dispatched to cover the town of Newington, home of Doogie’s and Gold Burgers.  The big bite weighs a little too heavy in my stomach for me to direct my partner to head to one of those fine dog houses.

***

Postscript.  24 hours have passed without a GI issue.  While the Department of Health may have problems with the 7-11’s dogs extended roll, my stomach did not.