Saturday, January 11, 2014

Chef's Dog House


Chef's Dog House
Chef's Dog House
337 Willard Avenue
Newington, CT 06111
(860) 667-3700

Monday-Friday 7am-8pm
Saturday 9am-8pm
Closed Sunday





Lauren, Zoey and I went to Chef's Dog House in Newington for our inaugural hot dog stop on our quest
to find the best hot dogs in the state.  Chef's has been around since 2010 and is located behind the 7-11
on Willard Avenue.  I had the Prairie Dog  and the Junkyard Dog, which is their most famous hot dog.
 Lauren had a Southern Dog.  Zoey opted for the grilled cheese.

Chef's uses 100% all-beef Kayem hot dogs (many of which are cooked wrapped with bacon) and cooks them on a grille.
He uses New England style hot dog rolls and the rolls are also grilled.

The place is known for its condiment bar, which features over 50 condiments, including many types of 
mayo, mustard, relish and hot sauce.  We skipped the condiment bar and ate the dogs as they came.
Me and the Junkyard Dog
The Junkyard Dog  is a bacon-wrapped dog, topped with chili, nacho cheese and grilled onions.  I have always been a plain hot dog guy so this was my first chiili cheese dog, and I have to admit that I did not know what I was missing.  It was great!

Junkyard Dog

The Prairie Dog is a bacon wrapped dog, topped with Onion Dip, and frizzled Potato.  I thought it was interesting.  I'm not crazy for onion dip.

Prairie Dog
Lauren really liked the Southern Dog, which is a hot dog, topped with Pulled Barbecue Pork and cole slaw.  I don't like cole slaw, so Lauren let me have a bit with the cole slaw taken off and I thought it was excellent.  The next time I visit when I am not menu sampling, I will definitely order this minus the slaw.

Southern Dog

We went back a week later for more sampling and tried the Swiss Pastrami Dog, which was very good.


Swiss Pastrami Dog (with fries)

 Zoey loved the thick stretchy cheese.




Chef's also serves hamburgers, sandwiches, soups and salads, as well as breakfast.

Lauren, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment