Day 50. I admit, I’m not feeling great today. My bones and joints are stiff. I have been working hard at rehabbing my knee, doing all the exercises my PT has prescribed. They include lying on the bed with my feet up on this thing called a peanut ball, which is like a Swiss ball shaped like a peanut. I put my feet up on it and try to roll it towards myself by moving my legs up to my chest and back. I do this repeatedly while I read Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle. My middle daughter, who is a recently graduated Dr. of Physical Therapy, comes by to visit and finds me in the bedroom working the peanut ball. She laughs and takes a picture of me and sends it to my PT who works with her. He is a nice young man who I enjoy talking about hot dogs with while he works on my knee It is a distraction from the intense pain I feel when he presses on my hamstring tendon. He claims he can eat a hot dog in 15 seconds. I am impressed as my attempts at speed eating are not close. He has also given me some good ideas of where to eat hot dogs, including a Korean Bakery where I get my Day 20 dog and a local Korean restaurant that serves Korean corndogs. When I checked the menu at Pick and Mix, they were out of the corndog made with meat and mozzarella and only had dogs made of potato, which doesn’t meet my criteria. He texts her back that he is proud of me.
But all this working out has left me tired here on day 50. To make matters worse, I come across an article on Instagram, something like Foods You Shouldn’t Be Eating Once You Turn 60. All right, alright, alright, I know hot dogs is going to be on the top of the list.
Turns out hot dogs are not mentioned in specific (but clearly implied), but nearly everything I eat is mentioned.
Here are some of the categories to avoid:
Deli Meats, Vegetable Oils, Frozen Dinners, Fried Foods, Soda, Diet Soda, Energy Drinks, Pork, Pastries, Sushi, Jello, Butter, Peanut Butter, Bagels, Popcorn, Marinara Sauce, Kombocha, Coconut Water, Frozen Pizza, Seafood, Hard Foods (carrots, etc. they don’t want you choking on them), Candy, Energy Bars, Bananas, Flavored Yogurts, White Bread.
The list goes on.
It makes me seriously question my decision to eat a hot dog a day. Maybe I feel so crappy today because of my diet and it is just hitting me all at once.
Then I think fuck it. Hot dogs bring me joy, plus I am, as a part of this Hot Dog Diet, trying to eat healthier even if I occasionally have some French Fries or a piece of chocolate. It does make me reconsider my soda habits. I have pretty much been having a soda a day along with a hot dog a day. Maybe I will modify the diet to soda only when served as part of a hot dog combo meal.
I decide when I am 97 and they ask me what my secret is to living so long is, while the old ladies usually say, “a shot of whiskey every night, “ I am going to say, “I eat a hot dog a day.”
It is time for my day 50 weigh-in.
I already know the weight will be impressive, but now I can officially announce it.
237.1 Pounds!
I have lost 8.9 pounds on the Hot Dog Diet in just 50 days!.
But is this a healthy weight loss? Have I lost fat or muscle from not eating as many calories I have been used to? I need a strength benchmark to insure I am not just wasting away.
I review my fitness regime.
Despite the loss of weight, I am failing my regime.
I have meet only 2 of my 7 fitness goals in the past week, and only 3 of my 4 Eating Principles.
My vow was to meet 6 of the 7 fitness goals each week. Here's how I did this past week, which was much better than previous weeks:
Fitness Regime:
A: Average 7000 steps a day for a week or have all days over 5000 steps or 3 10,000 step days
FAIL: In the last week I have averaged 5405 steps with 6 of 7 days over 5,000.
B: Eat 5 salads
FAIL– I have definitely been hitting the salads, but only had 4 this week
C. Gain No weight
PASS
D. Log 4 Strength Training/Gym Days
PASS
E. 5 Stretch Days
PASS
F. 2 Swims
FAIL-Haven’t been to the pool since I started eating hot dogs.
G. 7 Hours Sleep Average
PASS – This week I averaged 7 hours and 19 minutes.
General Principles:
No bacon except on hot dog (to cut down nitrates)
PASS
Green Vegetable and Fruit Every Night
PASS
Oatmeal in AM
PASS – Had Oatmeal 4 of 7 Days
No regular Soda or no more than one 10 ounce can if that is only soda available to me)
FAIL- Had several days when I had 12 ounces.
I decide to modify. For the next week
Fitness Goals Modifications:
Minimum 5,000 steps a day 6 of 7 days a week with average over 5000 for the week,
Five Gym Days can count 2 PT appointments,
No Soda unless with hot dog combo
1 Swim
New Long term goal-
Increase my chest press: 200 Max (Current 170 Max)
Increase Reps for 70% of max (120-20 times)
Due to my legs being rehabbed, I can’t do a leg strength but will add some point in the year.
Now that that is settled.
I make Day 50 official with a home cooked dog. I do my prefered cooking method.
1. Steam hot dog is small amount of water:
2. Grille once water gone
3. Add Buttered Bun for brief heating to melt butter but not quite toast bread.
Wallah!




